Saturday, October 16, 2010

a tragic story

About a week and a half ago, a storm hit Mesa (the city I live) like no other storm I've ever seen before. Giant trees that have been around forever and ever were ripped out of the ground, sections of people's roofs were torn off, and a trampoline was taken out of someone's backyard and thrown on top of a fence. Basically, a microburst came and made Mesa it's biatch. Some of this even happened on the street where my mom and sister live, and it was super creepy driving down my old street and seeing all of this destruction. Luckily, our house didn't receive any damage.

But that wasn't even the worst of it.

Photobucket

This diving lady Motel sign has been a glowing (somewhat getto) beacon in the land of Mesa for many, many years. DECADES. Ask any true Mesanite about this sign, and they will know exactly what you are talking about.
It is (was) a landmark.
(true story: this sign was the only reason I knew where my choir practice was when I was a kid).

Photobucket

And this storm took that from us.

As the swirling winds and rain came in on that fateful day of October 5th, 2010, it made the diving lady one of its casualties. It snatched it mercilessly from our unsuspecting hearts and smashed it to the ground into a million little pieces. Literally.

Main street already lost its beloved Dizzy, and now the diving lady is gone. Things are looking bleak for the future of Mesa.

RIP diving lady, you will be in our hearts forever.

Photobucket

(p.s. these pictures are from the very first photoshoot I ever went on with my precious dSLR camera. Boy am I glad I chose to take pictures here)

---------------------------------------------------

"Goodbye to you."

-Michelle Branch

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, this makes me sad.

Melanie said...

for some reason none of your photobucket pictures show up when I read your blog. Do you think I'm the only one?

Super Happy Girl said...

Boooo, sorry for your loss of cool sign.

amy mo said...

Hmmm It seems to stop working randomly...I guess let me know if it continues to not work?

angiedunn said...

okay, both myron & i are really sad about this. but do you know what cheered me up? "goodbye to you" -michelle branch hahahahaha....can't stop laughing.