Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bestie post: Lauren edition

The next bestie that I will feature is....drumroll please....(yes I know I already revealed her name in the title but just go with it....).....

LAUREN!

Photobucket

Lauren and I met as camp counselors at Camp Pontiac in New York the summer of '09. Holy crap, I just checked my dates, and apparently it was summer of '08. Geez, I'm old. Anyway, we met on the bus ride from the airport to camp and it was way awkward. One of our conversations was about the weather, no lie. We somehow overcame this though, and we've been besties ever since.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We've never lived in the same place, but every time we're together it's as though we've never been apart. She gets me to do crazy things that I would never imagine doing on my own, things that make me love and appreciate life more than I ever have.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

For example, last winter she came to visit and really wanted to hike the Grand Canyon. I agreed, thinking it can't get that cold in the end of November in one of the most northern parts of the state. Then, in order to get ourselves a little more in shape before the big hike, we took a boot camp class at the gym two days before. Lemme tell you, never before in my life had I ever been as sore as I was from that class. I would've given anything to back out on going on that blasted hike, but I knew Lauren was set on it, so I sucked it up and we drove to the Grand Canyon. We slept in the car the night before (below freezing temperatures), left for the trail at 5:30am, hiked with legs so sore I couldn't even run if I tried to, and hiked the e-n-t-i-r-e canyon, all the while I was freaking out internally about all of the possible options for death. I don't think I've ever been physically and mentally challenged as much as I was that day, but I would never trade that experience for the world.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
this is what the sweet taste of victory looks like, my friends.

Lauren teaches me how to fully live and enjoy life.

I feel like this small little post can do no justice in capturing the depth of our friendship or even come close to covering the adventures we've had together, but just to give you a little glimpse, here are all of the places we've been together:

-Copake, New York (location of said camp)
-Connecticut
-Boston
-New York City
-Coney Island
-All over Colorado
-Wyoming
-Mount Rushmore
-Rapid City, South Dakota
-San Diego
-Los Angeles
-Sedona
-Italy
-England
-Wales
-Germany
-Scotland
-Ireland
-Morocco (you know, in Africa)
-France
-The Grand Canyon
-And much more to come

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Notice how for the most part I'm on the right and she's on the left? We even have complimentary "good sides," which is crucial considering the amount of pictures we take together.

We know how to stretch a dollar while traveling, and we sleep on airport floors, wash our hair in train bathrooms, walk for miles to find cheap hostels, and go without meals if we have to. Who do you know who's humble and adventurous enough to do that? Not many people I know. There is no one I'd rather have crazy travel adventures  all over the world with than Lauren, and even though we drive each other crazy at times, we've become so much closer through it all.

Lauren, thank you for being such a great friend, and I'm so grateful you came into my life.
Here's to more bus rides, Catskills, Supermans, Coney Islands, haunted hotels, jumping pictures, free hugs, sleeping in random places, near death experiences in foreign countries, nights we can never speak of again, "free or two dollars"s, Milan train stations, new yearses, free factory tours, road trips, sandstorms, camels, creepy Paris men (wait, we can do without those), pound McFlurrys, orange juice men, nights talking for hours on the phone, couples honeymoon trips, competitions in.....extracurricular activities, and 50,000 more pictures. I love you oh so much! Thank you for three years of epic proportions.

-----------------------------------------------

"You'll always be my best friend, you know too much."

-Me to Lauren and Lauren to Me

3 comments:

Kayla said...

Have you noticed you guys to stand on specific sides when you take pictures at least in the last 4 or 5 you have posted

Heidi said...

Dude, I really don't mean to be creepy, but I have to confess, I've been blog stalking you for a while. You're hilarious, and it kills me how alike we are. {except that you're exponentially cooler than I am and I'm so jealous of your traveling.}

And I promise, I'm really not crazy..in a bad way, at least.

ok, I talk way too much too, but I just wanted to let you know I appreciated your comment, and you rock. The end.

Anonymous said...

you two are the cutest best friends ever.
love it.